The following study notes were prepared in 2009 for the purpose of
preparing for the ACEM Primary Examination. The notes were constructed
in the format of the published syllabus at that time.
The notes were based on the following reference material:
• Guyton, A C., and Hall, J E. (2005) ‘Textbook of Medical Physiology’
11th ed, Philadelphia:Elsevier-Saunders
• Ganong, W F. (2005) ‘Review of Medical Physiology - 22nd ed : Lange
• West, J B. (2005) ‘Respiratory Physiology : the Essentials’ 7th ed -
Philadelphia : Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
• Katzung, B G. (2004) ‘Basic and Clinical Pharmacology’ 9th ed. McGraw-
• Moore KL, Dalley AL (1999) “Clinically Oriented Anatomy” 4th Ed.
Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins
• Sinnatamby CS (2006) “Last’s Anatomy: Regional and Applied” 11th Ed.
Churchill Livingstone Elsevier
• Cotran RS, Kumar V, Collins T (1999) “Pathologic Basis of Disease” 6th
Ed. WB Saunders Company
Information contained in these notes should be verified by authoritative
and evidence-based sources and cannot be guaranteed to be error-free.
Graphs and diagrams referred to in notes were hand drawn at the time of
my study and have not been drawn into these notes. Most will be easily
accessible through the above references or via Google images.