Chris Thorpe talks with Segun Olusanya and James Day about “The Ageing Intensivist”. They discuss the intriguing question of whether increasing retirement age of ICU consultants affects personal health and patient safety. This is a JICS Cast based on the Journal of the Intensive Care Society.
[az_box_icon animation_loading=”yes” animation_loading_effects=”move_left” icon=”font-icon-graduation” title=”References” position=”left”]
1. O’Leary R, Strange J, McKimm A, Gantner D, McClure J, Roodenburg O. ICU should improve the night-time hospital. JICS October 2013; 14, 4: 284-287 (free full text at http://journal.ics.ac.uk/pdf/1404284.pdf )
2. Dr Foster Intelligence: Weekend care. myhospitalguide.drfosterintelligence.co.uk/#/weekend-care – suggests there is a 20% increase in mortality out of hours and at weekends (last accessed 23/05/2014)
3. Beckett, DJ, Gordon CF, Paterson R, Chalkley S, Stewart C, Jones MC, Young M, Bell D. Improvement in out-of-hours outcomes following the implementation of Hospital at Night. QJM 2009; 102(8): 539-546 (free full text at http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/102/8/539.full )
4. Job description of the Alfred Hospital Clinical lead here http://www.alfredicu.org.au/for-health-professionals/medical/registrars-and-hmos/after-hours-clinical-lead/
5. The Royal College of Physicians Future Hospital Commission. Future Hospital: Caring for medical patients. A report from the Future Hospital Commission to the Royal College of Physicians. September 2013. https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/sites/default/files/future-hospital-commission-report.pdf (last accessed 23/05/2014)